Monday, February 20, 2012

an unexpected adventure

We got to make a very spontaneous trip up to Utah a few weeks ago.  It was so much fun.  For me, it was just what I needed. I was feeling so overwhelmed, tired, and stuck in a rut and I needed some time with my sweet sister, favorite friend and family.  The trip was rejuvenating.  It was everything I needed and much more.

On the drive home I felt so tired. My head was pounding and my back sore. I stopped basically every hour, and did everything I could think of to stay awake and alert.  It just wasn't working out very well.  When we were almost to Monticello, about 2 1/2 hrs from home, I battled with myself.  Do I just keep pushing on and praying we make it? Do I bite the bullet and get a hotel? Our safety really is more important than the cost... but I really don't want to have to get up early tomorrow to drive the rest....  It really was a bit awful.  Finally, I just decided it wasn't worth the risk.

We overpaid for a not-the-greatest hotel.  The kids were so excited.  We ate dinner at Subway, pretty much the only place in town. I tried to be patient as the kids ran around our room like it was Christmas morning.  They climbed on the chairs and jumped from bed to bed.  We busted out the bathing suits and headed to the pool.  The boys were adorable.  Beckham jumped into the pool about 50 times.  He would stand on the edge and yell, "one! two! freeee!!!" and hop in to me.  He dunked his head in and acted so brave.  Very unlike my overly-cautious boy.  Of course Kaden was in Heaven and kept saying, "This is the BEST day EVER!"  He kept calling the hotel the nutella.  It was funny and cute.

We dried off, warmed up, and cuddled on one bed.  We watched silly shows and ate snacks.  It was just what I remember as a kid when we would stay somewhere.  It was always exciting and fun.  After we had stayed up too late we turned off the lights.  Beckham was mauling Kaden so we had to bring him into our bed, where he climbed all over me and kissed me 1000 times.  Kaden said over and over, "I love this nutella mom! I am so happy we are here....thank you for taking us to this nutella! Thanks for taking me swimming!"  I felt so happy seeing my kids delighted. 

Kaden wanted his nightly stories and insisted I make one up.  I told him something silly about dragons in a sparkly cave.  When I thought I was done, he picked up and told the most hilarious story.  It lasted at least 10 minutes, and while he was in the middle of a sentence all of a sudden it was silent.  Matt and I were like, okay, then what happened? and we realized he had fallen asleep.  Mid-sentence, mid-story, and his voice didn't even drift off.  Oh, I love that silly boy.  I went to sleep just thanking my Heavenly Father for such a beautiful family.  I can't even believe how much I love them.

Even though I definitely hadn't anticipated having to stay overnight so close to home and having to fork out a silly amount of cash, it was absolutely worth it.  Our fun unexpected adventure is one we will all remember for a very long time.  It definitely will always be one of my fondest memories of our little family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gems of life are shined and polished by moments like THESE.

Mom

Lacy said...

I just love you sweet Jessica! And your wonderful little family. Im glad you all had a mini-vacation during your vacation. Those can be better then vacations themselves!