Monday, April 6, 2009

Consider the Lilies


Consider the lilies of the field--how they grow, how they grow.
Consider the birds of the sky--how they fly, how they fly.
He clothes the lilies of the field. He feeds the birds in the sky and
He will feed those who trust Him and Guide them with His eye.
-
Consider the sheep of his fold--how they follow where he leads.
Though the path may wind across the mountains, He knows the meadows where they feed.
He clothes the lilies of the field. He feeds the birds in the sky and
He will feed those who trust Him and Guide them with His eye.
-
Consider the sweet tender children who must suffer on this earth.
The pains of all of them he carried from the day of his birth.
He clothes the lilies of the field. He feeds the lambs of his fold and
He will heal those who trust Him and make their hearts as gold.
-
He clothes the lilies of the field. He feeds the lambs of his fold and
He will heal those who trust Him and make their hearts as gold.
-
This song always encourages and uplifts me. I remember once, not too long ago, when I was having a particularly hard time, I was walking with my mom. We were standing on an overlook, gazing down at what I can only describe as one of the most beautiful pieces of God's creation. I was probably feeling overly-sorry for myself. She gently reminded me and encouraged me, "remember, consider the lilies of the field..." She proceded to remind me that I am never alone, that even the smallest petal on a flower is not forgotten. As silly as it may be, I think of myself as a lily. It is the flower of my birth month, and one of my favorites.
-
Tonight I listened over and over, and cried like a baby. I cried because I felt love and comfort. I cried because I was overwhelmed with peace and the love of my Savior and Father in Heaven. I cried because I had a new realization of how much they love my sweet, innocent, and dear husband. I cried because I know he will be healed. Their mercy is already in full effect in this little family. We feel comfort and peace like I cannot describe. I have been reassured that things will work out for our good. I know they will. Now, whenever I hear this song, I think of the lilies in the field and I remember my pains are carried, and I am (we are) fed, guided, and healed.


2 comments:

Brooke said...

That is a beautiful song. Thanks for sharing.

Tomber's Heaven said...

Wow Jess, you have such a beautiful way with words. Thank you for sharing. I truly needed to hear this today. I love you!