Wednesday, March 3, 2010

a little better


Last night was another tough one. At one point the little guy was just burning up and crying and I had to have a little meltdown because I just felt so helpless. Finally, he settled down and slept a little.

We took Beckham in this morning for his followup appointment, and it's a good thing. He was still having such a hard time and sounded and looked terrible. He could only hold his oxygen saturation at about 87%, which isn't horrible, but not ideal either, that's for sure. After another long appointment and a lot of running around, we came home with a nebulizer for breathing treatments and the poor guy is on oxygen again. As the day progressed and he had a breathing treatment, a blessing, and had been on the o2 for a few hours, he perked up so much. He started smiling, talking, and wiggling around. It was such a wonderful sight to see. He's been sleeping and eating a little better. We go in again tomorrow to see how he's doing. He still sounds pretty yucky and acts sick, but it's such a comfort to see improvement.

My parents were so helpful to take Kaden for the night. They've been out of town almost a week and I felt bad bombarding them right when they get home, but it will be so helpful and I'm grateful. He stayed up until 1:30 last night. ONE FREAKING THIRTY! I couldn't believe it. He just wanted to be held and comforted, but every time I would get him to sleep and leave he'd wake up again and cry. It was rough. He seems a million times better today. He was happy to say goodbye and send me on my way this evening. Man, I love that rascal. He's much more angelic when I am not around, so I hope he's great for my mom and dad. I am looking forward to more sleep tonight, that's for sure.

After a second treatment and some rest Beckham was wiggling all over the place and just talking and talking. I went over to see what he was so interested in and saw the monkey had pulled the tube out and was sucking on it, playing with it, and having a great time. I am so happy things are looking better. I hope it continues.

6 comments:

Team Avarell said...

Oh, I am so glad he is doing better. It is scary when these little ones get so sick. It will be nice for him to have a little one on one Mom time tonight.

Brooke said...

I'm happy to hear that the little fella is feeling a bit better! I wish we were home right now, as we have a nebulizer you could have borrowed without having to rent one. :( Hope the recovery continues to go well and that you get some rest tonight.

Rebecca, Lance, and Acadia-Rose said...

I'm so glad he's doing better. It's so scary when things aren't right and you can't fix them. Acadia-Rose got her own nebulizer a few weeks ago, and it's been a blessing. I hope he continues to heal, and you get some sleep!

Tara said...

Jessica,
I am so glad he's getting a little better! when Kammy had the flu, it was the worst! I think it's harder on us mama's than it is on the little ones though. They bounce back so fast!

craigo said...

Poor little guy. I feel so bad for him. That is just so hard to watch your kid struggle like that but it makes me happy he is doing better. i hope he just keeps getting better. - Kara

Lisa and Rustin said...

Oh Jessica! I am so sorry your little guy is sick! Poor guy!

Glad to hear he's feeling better!
And those smiles with the nasal cannula are adorable!