Wednesday, June 20, 2007

2 years ago...

Two years ago Matt and I took a trip with out dear friends Dan and Ashley Henry. We went to Havasupai down in the Grand Canyon. It was an amazing time and I loved every minute.

Getting ready to hike down. It was gorgeous and the most wonderful weekend with our greatest friends, Dan and Ash Henry. (There is a link to their blog to the right)


Here we are in front of Moony Falls. Matt kept creeping to the edges of all the steep stuff freaking everyone out. He thought it was funny. He wasn't scared to hike down the slippery cliff to get to this beatiful spot (the rest of us were a little inhibited!)


That sign says "descend at your own risk"....it was risky business getting down, but totally worth it.

Today marks the two year anniversary of our car accident. My mom sent this email out this morning, I think it totally sums up everything and how we feel. The part at the end is about my sweet little sister Michaela.


Hello Everyone,

It was two years ago tonight that Jessica and Matt were in their accident. It is not a pleasant day to remember, and a lot of memories and feelings are conjured up, unbidden, on this anniversary date.

We are choosing to look at today to see the blessings, to see the progress, to feel gratitude for the many wonderful experiences that have transpired since, and because of, that accident. Jessica said to me last night "I'm going to look at it as the day Matt lived, not the day something died."

Matt continues to improve. When we see him almost daily, we have to be aware and perceptive of the changes, but when we look and we pay attention, they are always there. His coordination continues to get better, his memory amazes us sometimes. It seems he has more of his long term memory coming back. He can expound on different experiences from his childhood and young adulthood, and it is always a delight to hear him talk about his past. His short term memory is where we really catch glimpses of healing and growth. He still might not remember that he has an appointment, or why they're driving to town, but once he's done those things he can usually recall it and we are often amazed and the things he just pulls out.

He was a computer science major in college. His love and fascination with computers is still intact! There is much he doesn't remember, but we're really thinking about enrolling him in some basic computer science classes, maybe just one at a time, to see if relearning will put those files back in the right drawer in his brain so he can access them.

Jessica's massage business is growing bit by bit, to give her an income but not take all of her time. She is loving motherhood and is the best mom (she has the BEST baby!) She loves her little family and does a good job as caretaker.

They were recently in California with Matt's whole family to attend the wedding of Matt's younger sister, Kara. That was fun for them.

Dan and Ashley Henry, the other couple involved in the accident, are doing quite well. Ashley is doing quite well...some repurcussions from her injuries, but is off all medication and is hiking, etc. They are living in San Francisco now, and are expecting a baby boy in August. We are very happy for them!

On another note, I am currently in Rexburg, Idaho. Michaela was hospitalized on Sunday night with "siezure-like activity." I drove up here on Monday. This is similar to some problems she had last fall, which required her to withdraw from school and come home for 6 weeks...it was determined she was having physiological stress reactions. They have done a lot of tests on her here, and thankfully nothing neurological is showing up. We continue to explore what's going on. We're hoping she can finish this summer session (about another month) and come home for the month of August, and then we'll see. Of course we are very concerned about her, and wondering about these idiopathic symptoms that rather debilitate her. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I'm not sure how long I'll be here. She got out of the hospital yesterday, and I'll see how she gets around today, etc. before I make any departure decisions.

Hope this finds all of you well. As always, I thank you all for your wonderful caring and support and thoughtfulness so graciously expressed and shown these past two years.

Love,
Robin

5 comments:

nicole said...

So did you get in the accident coming home from the trip? It was very interesting reading your mom's email...you guys have definitely been through a lot over the past couple of years. I love your perspective on the whole thing, and how, to you, this marks the anniversary of the day Matt lived. You are a very strong individual, Jessica. I really look up to, and admire you.

Stefanie Ruth said...

Oh Jess...I'm contiunally amazed by your strength and ability to look at everything from a positive perspective. I'm also amazed at what a difference two years can make and how strong we all are, even though we might not know it. I love you all so much and I'm always thinking about you and Matt and I love hearing about how far he's come. Hopefully I'll get to see you both on the 4th, and FINALLY meet Kaden!

Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing that Jess! I still remember the day we heard about the accident, it brings me to tears just thinking about it. But since then, I have been inspired by your strength and goodness.

Zane and Lexi said...

Hi Woods! We hate to think of that day also - but what we admire is how far you have come! You two must be the strongest two people we know and we are so happy that the progress continues - keep up the good work! We love you guys!!

Matticus said...

You said "Two years ago Matt and I took a trip with out dear friends Dan and Ashley Henry." I think that you meant to say:"Two years ago Matt and I took a trip with OUR..." Of coarse, I don't think that I have access, to change the wording to this post. Oh well, I guess that it will just be worded wrong until you correct it.