Thursday, February 14, 2008

Be Mine


Happy Valentine's Day! I love this holiday...always have. It is just such a happy day!

Four years ago today my sweet husband proposed to me. I was in school in Idaho and he was in Utah. He came to visit me for the weekend and I had planned a fun surprise day for us on Valentine's day. We were going to spend the day with our friends Andrea and Steve, hiking, playing in the snow, having a dutch oven lunch, etc. I thought all of my plans and preparations were sneaky and I was so excited.

We had to go pick up a few last minute things for our meal, and I invited Matt to come along. He declined saying, "I have a project I have to work on"....I thought, "what a nerd...it's a Saturday, Valentine's day, and he's doing homework?!?!" but...I let it go. Little did I know that when I came back my apartment was a mad house...one roommate was on watch at the window, the others frantically cutting paper hearts, finding ribbon, etc. I guess I almost spoiled my own surprise by walking in when they were all screaming, running, and hiding the evidence.

Well, we had the funnest day. It had just snowed and was beautiful outside. We had fun just playing together in the snow and having a care-free day. After lunch Andrea and Steve said they were going on a walk. We went the other way thinking they wanted to be alone. After a while we ended up making a strange loop to somewhere we weren't supposed to be going. Matt was acting kind of strange, but I didn't think much of it. All of a sudden we were on this path by the river, in the snow, and there was a trail of rose petals. We followed it and made our way to a little dock overlooking the river. There were roses and rose petals everywhere. In the middle of everything was a stack of construction paper hearts tied together with a ribbon. He had me read them all outloud...which by the way got much harder with each tender little note. It was the top ten reasons he wanted to marry me. I was cought COMPLETELY off guard...which was wonderful because for some reason I always accidentally spoil my own surprises. He got down on his knee and pulled out the ring and was so nervous he FELL backward and dropped the ring in the snow. We were frantically looking for it and I was thinking "oh no, he is so nervous and the poor guy is going to be so embarassed...." I found the ring and handed it back to him. He threw it in the river and proposed with the REAL ring. (I was so glad too because the other one was pretty ugly actually...I was nervous about what I would have said to him about that). The ring could not have been more perfect, the proposal more special, and the man more fit for me. I was ecstatic and said YES of course! We took a bunch of pictures and it's so fun to look back at them....we were all dressed up in our snowclothes and beanie hats. We went and had a nice dinner that night and I felt like the happiest person on earth. That is the shortened version but it was a wonderful day, and such a surprise. I LOVE HIM!!!!

5 comments:

Team Avarell said...

That is such a fabulous story!! I love it!! Happy Valentines Day to you both!

Jodi Jean said...

awwww, love it!!

k8e said...

Yay! I remember that! That was such a cute idea! What a cute couple you are!! I miss you!

nicole said...

I love hearing proposal stories. Yours is especially sweet. You two are perfect for each other.

Nicole said...

What a sweet story. I love romance!