Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"...it's not always rainbows and butterflies..."


I am a sunshiny-girl....and I like to try and see what is bright, what is best. If I were a crayon, I would be yellow. I am sometimes accused of sugar-coating, and pretending it's all alright. And, it mostly is. As great as things are, as happy as we are, and as much as we have to look forward too, it's not all sunshine. To put it candidly, sometimes things just plain aren't fair. Sometimes things are completely out of our control. Sometimes things are overwhelming and scary. For the most part, we try to ignore those harrowing thoughts and return to our "sunshiny" state, the optimistic side; we decide that we ARE where the grass is greener. This helps us survive, helps us find the happiness, and opens our hearts to what is good, the tender mercies we receive daily, and the miracles that flood our lives.


I never begrudge the success of those around me. I genuinely find joy in loved ones success, happiness, and achievement. I must admit however, that every time a friend gets a promotion, goes on some wild adventure, etc. there is a tinge of sadness. There is grief for what has been lost on our part. Dreams that were stollen in a matter of seconds. Ability, agility, mental clarity, ambition, years of hard earned knowledge and success, a drive for learning and accomplishment, working knowledge of many things----those things are a blur. Matt still has some of his motivation and ambition, but it has changed drastically. His sights must be set on a new bar now. One that is exponetially more challenging, but on many levels less rewarding....at least in his own mind. His frustration grows as he becomes more aware of limitations.


I try to be a positive force for him. I too feel overwhelmed and concerned for what our future might hold. But, I must say, that the most heart wrenching thing is seeing my sweet husband have to struggle on a daily basis. If I could, I would take all of his pain, frustration, and struggle from him. I earnestly believe that there is a plan for everyone. I believe that our life is exaclty according to plan, and I have immense faith that everything will work out just fine. I know that our story inspires others and maybe we can help someone out along the way. I know that we have learned incredible lessons through all of this, and we will continue learning those lessons.
Our lessons learned are countless...and I know there are many more to come. I will just include my favorite one. We have learned....and are learning what unconditional love is all about. We continue to learn how to treat each other, how to love each other, and how to overlook weaknesses. It is not always easy, because our life is nothing like we pictured it would be. We know we are in it for eternity, and I couldn't be more happy to be with my sweet husband forever.
Despite how undescribably hard some days are, I am so thankful that we can look around and notice the sunshine. Because the sun does shine every single day, no matter how cloudy it might be. I am so thankful that we are receptive to those blessings our Father in Heaven pours upon us daily. He gave us this challenge, and he is with us every step of the way, helping us and carrying us.

16 comments:

Zane and Lexi said...

Jess! You are one amazing girl...seriously such an example of positive "sunshine"!!! Many people wouldn't be so amazing under the circumstances. We continually look up to you and know that you guys are going to make it through - look how far you have already come!! WE LOVE YOU GUYS!

April said...

I'm a friend of Matt's and check your blog often and have ALWAYS noticed your positive attitude and faith. Yet, there is a realness to your attitude as well. I've appreciated it more than you know. You'll always be blessed ten fold!

-April

Tomber's Heaven said...

Wow Jess, you are so amazing w/ words. You are such a good example to me. I was needing to be reminded of the sunshine today and ta da! There's my friend helping me through. Thank you for your strength and wonderful spirit! I sure love you guys!

Team Avarell said...

You are such an amazing couple and we are truly thankful to have you as friends!! You are a wonderful example to us both and your positive outlook is such a blessing. I can't even imagine the trials you have had to deal with but you are always in our thoughts and prayers :) oh and congratulations on your new home...that is very very exciting.

The Childrens Nest said...

We love you guys! You truly are amazing people, always with big smiles on your faces too! You are such a great writer Jessica! Thanks for your sweet words and your cheerful attitude! Have a beautiful day!

Jodi Jean said...

what an amazing post jessica! you are truly the epitome of "sunshine" i know if our roles were reveresed i would not be able to bear what you have borne ... let alone with a smile on my face and a postive attitude. you are an example to all of us. i'm sure its not easy, but you make it seem so! keep on trucking girlie!!

Team Avarell said...

Cameron and I are headed to Durango this weekend with some friends. If you guys are available we could go to lunch or something fun!!

Holly said...

Hi Jess, you guys look great. You're such a cute mom. By the way it's Holly from CO... Email me for our blog site.

Robin Randolph said...

Thank you, Jessielib, for sharing these thoughts. Anybody who sees and watches you knows that you don't just talk the talk...you walk the walk, and so does Matt. You are amazing.

Teresa Strum said...

Hi Jessica,
I am also a friend of matt's and the wood family. I have followed the story of you and Matt ever since the accident. Tracy kept me updated and now I also check your family's blog. You are amazing! You always are so positive and happy! What a wonderful wife you are. You inspire me to be better all the time. like you said that through these challenges you are learning unconditional love...You are getting to develop that characeristic in this life in a unique way, and learning to love as our Savior loves all of us. What an accomplishment! Thanks for reminding all of us, through your example to look for the sunshine!

Jen and Allen said...

You should be a motivational speaker!
Knowing that our challenges also brings some of our greatest learning experiences and blessings, for me at least, help the challenge become less daunting and more of an opportunity. It is also comforting to know that Heavenly Father is always there and ready to help. Thanks for sharing your sunshine with me today. Jen

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such wonderful words. You are so strong and are such an inspiration to others.

Stacy W. said...

Hey there wood family. Thank you Jessica for such a beautiful post. You little family is truely wonderful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and reminding me that "the sun shines even on cloudy days." Youre the best and say hello to matt for me and kiss the baby- love Aunt Stacy

Ryan and Erin said...

I love that you can put such intimate feelings into words. It is pure poetry! Sometimes the only thing that keeps me going is the silly quote from Galaxy Quest, "Never give up, never surrender." That's as poetic as I get. Keep it up! You guys rock!!

josephine said...

Well my dear Jessie girl,
I just cried when I read your blog my dear one, not from sadness but from sheer emotion.
I often tell your mother that you are a remarkable young woman and I will just reiterate that sentiment one more time.
I just love you and Matt so much and think you both extraordinary- and don't cha love those beautiful pictures of Kaden! The portrait of him looks absolutely eternal! Loved it, love you.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Jess,
You really hit the nail on the head, not only about your personal situation but also love in general. It takes so much compromise and patience under any circumstances, so you are truly an example that love can survive and flourish NO MATTER WHAT! Matt is so lucky to have found such an amazing woman...and I'm proud to share half your brain ;-)

Just kidding...but I love you :-)