Thursday, March 27, 2008

A really good day

Matt had a surprising amount of energy today, and we went on the LONGEST walk we have been on since 05'. We went over 3 miles! That is so far for Matt. The impressive thing too, is that he didn't have his walking poles but still kept a really good pace and maintained it the whole way. I am so proud of him! He was happy too, and we laughed and talked the whole way. It was one of our best days in a long time. Kaden rode in the pack and was so fun! He leaned from side to side and talked the WHOLE way. He pointed at things and it was like the whole ride was a new discovery for him. I LOVED carrying him the whole way (and wow, he is a lot heavier than he was last summer!). Ally the dog was so happy to get her exercise. We are watching her while my parents are gone. Kaden loves Ally and laughed at her cavorting through the snow.


We still have so much snow! It is melting really quickly though...I am so excited for summer.



As a result of Matt's injury, sometimes he tends to get very tired, lethargic, and apathetic. He sort of goes through phases and I am still trying to figure out if there is some sort of correlation with his activities, sleep, food, some sort of cycle with the moon...who knows! It can be quite baffling, really. He will find little bursts of energy here and there, but nothing really lasting. The last few weeks he has seemed that way off and on, but today he woke up with a different energy. I have missed his energetic, smiling, witty self. I felt like we connected with each other, like we haven't in a little while. Days like today, I notice huge strides and improvement in him, and am reminded that healing is still definitely taking place. I think that Heavenly Father sends me these little reminders when I start to get down, so I realize that we aren't forgotten. This cycle is not new...people close to Matt have noticed that he will go through a very slow, tired period of time, then all of a sudden he wakes up and we notice a big difference in him. It must take SO much energy to go through the healing process he goes through, so it makes sense why it would be this way. I have to remind myself of this and have patience and perseverance when things are tough and he is harder to reach. Days like today remind me of the "old" Matt and make all the other days totally worth while.

5 comments:

Kara said...

Sounds like a wonderful day and I hope for more and more days like this for you in the days to come. I'm glad that you are still seeing improvement and healing every day. You sound like you needed this and I'm so happy that you were able to see the old Matt that you know and love.

Brooke and Mike said...

What awesome pictures! I love that! Your little guy is getting to big...and cute!!!

Well, I need to get your address so that I can send you a wedding announcement. I'm getting married May 9th! :) So exciting. so just email me the address. thanks tonz!

-Brooke (soon to be Neilson)
brookeh@cox.net

Jodi Jean said...

wow the walk sounds WONDERFUL! i'm glad that you have good days and see him improving. that's great.

Wendy said...

Jessica,
I am so proud of you and how much work Matt and you have gone through to get to where you are. You have such a wonderful spirit, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I just love you so much friend!