Monday, July 28, 2008

I've been struck down.....

It turns out that you actually CAN be struck down, and I was. I am the fourth Sunday teacher in Relief Society. I LOVE my calling. I teach from the General Conference talks and it's such a pleasure to be able to study our prophet and leaders. I love to (attemtp to) be creative and think of new ways to present the lesson. This month, I procrastinated big time. I would call myself a procrastinator anyway, but in my defense, it's actually good planning, because I work and perform SO much better under pressure...or so I tell myself.

Anyway, I hadn't even read the lesson on Saturday. I went to a friend's wedding, then on the (amazingly fun) ropeswing at the lake. (That is a different story in itself, but I finally found someone to go with me, and now it's all I can think about. So, I need more friends to go with me, to help fulfill my undying need for adventure, any takers?) The whole time the lesson was nagging me in the back of my mind, but I just figured I would get to it when I got home. While on the ropeswing the black clouds rolled in and the winds blew. By the time we got home it was POURING. I couldn't find the conference edition of the Ensign, of course, so hopped online to print it out. The printer wouldn't work, surprise, surprise, so I was madly trying to take notes as the storm raged and the lightning hit. I knew my computer would explode at any moment. About halfway through the article, lightning struck about 10 feet from the house, and everything went black. The house actually shook, and Kaden freaked out.

To make an already long story, a little shorter, eventually the storm cleared, the electricity came back on, and I read through the lesson a few times. My friend printed it out and brought it to church for me. I was praying to give a good lesson, for the sake of the ladies in class, knowing full well I didn't deserve much. It was something to the effect of "Heavenly Father, I know I am super lame and shouldn't even be asking, but those ladies need a good lesson, so maybe a little help would be awesome, thanks a lot. I'll do better next time!" I think that I might have learned my lesson....maybe.

3 comments:

grant + brittany said...

I procrastinate too because I feel like I do better under pressure. This story is so funny... and typical! I bet you gave a wonderful lesson, I would love to be taught by you. I wish you guys could have been here too. I really really do. Anyway love the new background!

Robin Randolph said...

This reminds of when you were in High School. you were the Princess of Procrastination, and you always got an "A" on that paper you slammed together at the midnight hour. So....I'm sure you did great today. I'm sorry I missed it!

PS: I'm your mother...so I will tell you to BE CAREFUL on that rope swing. it looks like the tree is about to fall over.

Josephine said...

You gotta love a direct approach:)