Tuesday, April 27, 2010

he's kind of a nerd

but so am I.

Matt's always been a bit goofy. He has some of the corniest jokes I have ever heard. He does some of the silliest things. But, I have done my research and discovered that nerds make the best husbands. My friends with the nerdiest husbands are the happiest, treated the best, and have the most fun. It's just a fact.

When I first told my family about Matt they asked me what was so special about him. The first thing I thought of and said was, "he makes me laugh". Matt has always had a special way of making me laugh no matter what my mood is. We can't quite joke around the way we used to, but we still have a lot of good laughs and I'm so thankful for that.

On one of our first grocery shopping excursions as a newly married couple, we were both flabbergasted at the price of groceries for two. Or should I say, I was shocked at how much it costs to feed Matt (I would love to have that bill now.). Matt starts emptying out his wallet for the cashier and pulls out every credit card he had. "Don't worry babe, I have these! If one is full, we can just use the next, and if none of them work I got 3 credit card applications in the mail today!" Matt has the most impeccable credit score of anyone I know, but you should have seen the look on the cashier's (and my) face.


I can't even begin to touch the surface on describing how many times Matt's had me in tears of laughter. When we were poor newlyweds we used to have fun in our apartment late at night taking silly videos and pictures. We would be rolling on the floor hurting we were laughing so hard. We had a game that we played regularly (I made it up, thank-you-very-much) called "lava". One of us, unexpectedly, would claim that something was the lava and major battle would ensue. Whoever falls in the lava first loses. It might be a stripe in a parking lot, the grass beside the sidewalk, etc. I put up a tough fight I tell you what.

Matt was universally known on the UVSC campus as the "scooter boy". It's hard to miss a 6'5" guy who rides a razor scooter to all of his classes. For the Mr. UVSC pageant he constructed an impressive duct tape suit. He insisted we keep it. I have to admit, it's a work of art.
One of my very, very best memories ever was a date night we had the first year we were married. I came home from a very rough day, feeling completely sorry for myself, not in the mood to do anything. We were trying to save money so we decided to go to Barnes & Noble, sit in the soft comfy chairs reading and drinking hot chocolate. In an effort to cheer me up, Matt decided we should browse the Humor section and find something appealing. That is where we came upon the Bunny Suicides. We found the biggest chair we could find. Matt plopped down and I sat on his lap and we dove in to these ridiculous books (there were 2!). Oh. My. Goodness. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. Maybe it was cute Matt laughing so hard, his eyes squinted into little slits, huge perfect teeth showing. Maybe it was because I was so emotional and needed a good laugh. Maybe it was because we were totally disrupting the peace while we tried to be silent as we laughed and cried uncontrollably and people stared at us. Or, maybe it was just the fact that we were looking at a picture book of rabbits thinking of clever, ridiculous, ingenious ways to kill themselves. Whatever the case, it was one of the best nights of my life.

Matt might be cheesy. Some people might not get his jokes. Maybe he embarrasses me sometimes, but nerds make the best husbands. It's a fact.

4 comments:

Marnae and Clint Carter said...

you guys are adorable!

Jess and Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyrell Berner said...

I completely agree...Jake is a big nerd but the best husband ever!

k8e said...

I kept giggling all the way through this. Especially the Barnes and Noble story. You guys are awesome!