Thursday, October 6, 2011

land of enchantment


Last weekend our little fam took such a fun road trip. We left after work on Friday, just as the sun was setting, destined for Albuquerque, NM. I had been thinking about going down there for the balloon fiesta for months, and after an official invite from Grant and Britt we just had to do it. I looked forward to it for weeks.

The drive down was fun. Kaden slept most of the way and Beckham jabbered in the back. Matt and I had good conversation and he got to listen to me jam to whatever came onto the ipod. It was sweet. We got to Grant and Brittany's house after 11:30. I felt so bad it was late, even if they are night owls. We had to get up at 4:30 the next morning to make it in time for the mass ascension of balloons. Did we got straight to bed like we should have? Of course not! We stayed up chatting, well mostly Brittany and I, until almost 2:00. Poor Grant and Matt. It was just so good to see them.

Oh, and this baby. I adore her. She is the most bright-eyed, smiley little thing. I love her to pieces (and I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual! hah!). The boys were in love with her too. Beckham was a little worried and jealous when I held her, though.

Maybe it was the crazy lack of sleep, maybe a bug, but the boys got so sick on Saturday. They had fevers over 103 and just felt miserable. It was weird that they got sick at the exact same time. It was also weird that it lasted less than 24 hrs. I was worried about them, worried they might have gotten Trudy sick, and a little bummed because we didn't get to do a lot of what I had hoped to. It turned out to be perfect though (minus them feeling so awful), because we just got to hang out at the house. We talked, ate ice cream, and lounged. My idea of a good time.

Our time with Grant and Brittany was so fun. I hope we didn't bombard them with our chaos too much, but we loved every minute. They are so sweet, so good to us, and everything was just comfortable. Maybe that doesn't make sense. I loved that there was no pressure to entertain, no pressure to be a certain way, and I even snooped in Trudy's changing table while everyone napped and stole some tylenol for Kaden and Beckham. I'm such an awesome guest. I promise I don't usually go through people's stuff!

Sunday we watched some conference and Matt and I took the kids to the zoo. So fun. Then we drove down to Santa Fe and stayed in my grandparent's house for a night. It was so great to be there. I haven't been there for 2 years, since my Nonie passed away. Things were so much the same, exactly how I remembered them. I loved reminiscing and feeling nostalgic for a while.

We played in Santa Fe all day Monday. We hit up Trader Joes and some other fun places and headed home. Our drive home was so much fun. It's only 4 hours, so it doesn't seem too long and the boys did great. They made a disaster out of the backseat. There were snacks everywhere, coloring books and crayons, books, blankets, you name it.

At one point, they were squealing and giggling so loud; it was hysterical. I turned around and Kaden was chewing on Beckham's hand. Those two are finally at the age where they enjoy each other, laugh at each other, play together, and love one another. I love it. At one point Matt said, "Babe! This is so perfect. Our boys are so adorable I can hardly stand it! I got to be with my beautiful family all weekend and I am so happy. Thank you so much for planning this fun trip." He is so sweet.

Pretty darn enchanting, if you ask me.

No comments: